On Thu, 8 Jul 2010, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

With regards to "leftover man pages" in /usr/share/man/manX, I believe
mergemaster now handles clean-up of those, and probably catX too.

Never has, never will. :) What I actually advocate is 'rm -r /usr/share/man' before doing installworld. Been doing that myself for years and years, never have to deal with the out of date man page problem you described so well in your post.

Doug

                        -- Pablo Picasso