On Fri, Jun 01, 2012 at 05:03:26AM -0700, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk wrote:
> Dear All ,
>
> There is a thread
>
> "Why Are You Using FreeBSD ?"

Hello,

I'm using FreeBSD for most of my tasks and servers and i think it's great, but
this things could be improved:

        - Good FUSE support. On the desktop side, you can't use NTFS for write
access.
          On the server side, you miss things like Gluster. You can't run
things like
          truecrypt because they need it and things like geli/gbde doesn't work
on
          anything but FreeBSD. Ie: FUSE is needed for interoperability.

        - Easier way to replicate FreeBSD infrastructure. I've found that
maintain 1 server
          on FreeBSD is great. Requires lower maintenance that any other
operating system.

          Once you start managing 20 or 30 things change. Suddenly you find
yourself needing
          automated package building because ports are not versioned, so you
must copy
          the repo, maintain local patches and build a tinderbox.

          If you find problems on a FreeBSD version and need patches you need
          build a freebsd-update server to still use it, or start maintaining
servers
          on two different ways: source and binary, which just adds testing
time. Would be
          better if you could switch from source to binary and back in a easier
way.

        - Hardware support. If you want to build a server on new atom boards,
you
          will have problems, eg:

          http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=amd64/166639

          Same with laptop and other kind of hardware. Not just on computers,
but also
          on peripherals. AFAIK no single all-in-one printer works fully with
FreeBSD, so
          it's hard to configure as print/scan server.

        - I/O performance: If you do heavy I/O, the system becomes
unresponsive. I've read a few
          days ago on the lists that it was a problem related to priorizing
writes over reads
          and the recommendation was to use gsched, but haven't had time to
check.

Regards.
Victor.

--
La prueba más fehaciente de que existe vida inteligente en otros
planetas, es que no han intentado contactar con nosotros.