Thanks, Ed, but where do I find this? uname -a" gives me
stable/13-007101f87. For a while I was seeing a hyphenated number prefixed
with a 'c' and I had assumed that that number was the sequence. The full
hash from the logs just is a long hex number. As usual with git stuff, I'm
still very confused. After decades with a common paradigm with RCS CVS and
SVN, git is fundamentally very different and old terminology does not
really align as git is designed from a  very different perspective.

I have read the little mini-guide Warner wrote as well as a couple of web
tutorial, but the web tutorials are really about running your own repo on
github or gitlab, not using a repo as a source for distributions. I'm still
a long way from having a real clue.
E-mail: rkober...@gmail.com