OK. This is where I get confused. I thought that the point of putting these applications into the base FreeBSD distribution was that they need to be tightly integrated into the OS. I understand that this is critical for basic system tools like "adduser". It appears this makes it important to build the whole distribution together (buildworld) and not get one tool out of sync with the rest.

But if this is not the case, and we are supposed to build portions of the /usr/src/ without rebuilding the whole thing, why aren't these tools in /usr/ports?

I'm new here, so I'm not telling you how to suck eggs. Perhaps there are historical reasons for this hierarchy. But I want to make sure I do the right thing. Is this the safest approach:

* install ports for named, ssh, etc.
* disable the base FreeBSD distributions of these tools
* use cvsup to update these tools whenever I need to because of security/bugs/features
* use cvsup to update base FreeBSD (src-all) for each tagged release (every 3 months or sooner in case of problems). Or less often if the update doesn't look important. Then buildworld to build a consistent FreeBSD release.

Cheers
Ari Maniatis