I'm new here, and I've been lurking to look for answers. You seem like a friendly bunch, so I'll ask my question.

It appears that there are two strategies for updating FreeBSD systems:

* cvsup the latest STABLE release on a regular basis
* get the CD release (4.6, 4.7, etc) snapshots periodically and update from that either with binaries or compiled from source

I am curious about what most people do. For a server where stability is important, I obviously don't want to buildworld once a week, but it is also important to keep on top of bug reports and security holes.

I am already using cvsup with the ports tree and it works really nicely, giving me the choice of what to update and when. Am I right in saying that the base FreeBSD install can work the same way?

I guess what makes more more confused is figuring out what is part of "FreeBSD" and what is part of the ports. Some things seem to be both: eg. perl and bind. Is there a map somewhere that sets this out clearly? Does everything which is a port get installed in /usr/local?

I'm having some problems getting the kernel to compile (errors in "/usr/src/sys/modules/linux") and I suspect that the problem may be due to this lack of understanding about which source trees live where.

Thanks for any help
Ari Maniatis