Hi,

[LoN]Kamikaze wrote:
Doug Hardie wrote:
On Jul 19, 2007, at 10:08, [LoN]Kamikaze wrote:

As the subject says, on my 6-stable systems ntpd just sits there and does
nothing. The logs only mention when the daemon gets started or shut
down. It
complains when servers are not reachable, but does nothing when they
are available.

The drift file always contains 0.00.

ntpdate and openntpd both successfully manage to set the time, so I
suppose
it's a problem with ntpd.
Are you on a static IP address?  If not, ntpd obtains its IP address
when it starts up and uses it forever.  If your IP address changes then
it will not be able to communicate with the upstream ntp servers.  It
has to be restarted everytime your IP address changes.

I have a static address. The trouble is it seems to operate fine, only it
forgets to change the time when it differs from the time servers too much.
Sometimes my clock goes wrong more than 1 second within a day.
ntpd will not change time if the difference is too big - I think it should be less then 1000s.
ntpdate will :)

Also if you have increased your kernel secure level 2+ :

          In addition, kernel time changes are restricted to less than or
equal to one second. Attempts to change the time by more than this
          will log the message ``Time adjustment clamped to +1 second''.

So grep for ntpd in /var/log/messages and I'm sure you will find the problem.

Other problem that I see is if you are behind NAT/firewall.
Because ntpd make a request and wait for response on different port, so check your firewall configuration and blocked packets.

Best Wishes,
Stefan Lambrev
ICQ# 24134177