> Hi,
>
> [LoN]Kamikaze wrote:
> > Doug Hardie wrote:

> >> Are you on a static IP address?  If not, ntpd obtains its IP address
> >> when it starts up and uses it forever.  If your IP address changes then
> >> it will not be able to communicate with the upstream ntp servers.  It
> >> has to be restarted everytime your IP address changes.
> >>

> > I have a static address. The trouble is it seems to operate fine, only it
> > forgets to change the time when it differs from the time servers too much.
> > Sometimes my clock goes wrong more than 1 second within a day.
> >
> ntpd will not change time if the difference is too big - I think it
> should be less then 1000s.
> ntpdate will :)

ntpdate is deprecated and is not recommended these days. The proper answer is
to start ntpd with the -g option and to add the 'iburst' option to one or more
of the servers in /etc/ntp.conf. The 'iburst' will speed up th initial sync to
close to that of ntpdate, but have much greater accuracy.

You can get the '-g' by adding 'ntpd_sync_on_start="YES"' to rc.conf.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)