On Sep 22, 2008, at 12:41 PM, Robert Watson wrote:
Lack of human resources, to use a vile term, is currently the limiting factor. What happens when that is cleared is another question, but in the end there aren't a whole lot of paths to greater efficiency here:
This is an inherently manual process because security patches touch a variety of parts of the system and each has different implications, the tendency for vulnerabilities to come in classes, etc.

Great, thanks. Do we have any idea how much additional human resources would be necessary to extend the support period?

because there was significant divergence and maintaining three active development branches at once (5.x, 6.x, and 7.x) was a serious stretch.

I've never suggested maintaining 3 different release versions, and I wouldn't suggest trying. When Sun, Microsoft, et al decide that they don't have the resources to support 3 major revisions, it's a pretty good reason to think that FreeBSD can't either ;-)

--
Jo Rhett