On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 1:17 PM, Mikhail T. <mi+t...@aldan.algebra.com> wrote:
> 07.07.2010 14:59, Jeremy Chadwick ???????(??):
>>>
>>>      FREEBSD_COMPAT7 kernel option is, apparently, a requirement (and
>>>      thus not an "option") -- the kernel-config files, that worked with
>>>      7.x, break without this option in them (in addition to all the
>>>      nuisance, that's documented in UPDATING -- which, somehow, makes
>>>      the breakage acceptable). config(8) would not warn about this, but
>>>      kernel build fails.
>>>

>> We don't use this option (meaning it's removed from our kernels).  It's
>> definitely not required.  All it does is ensure your kernel can
>> comprehend executables/binaries built on 7.x.
>>

> Attached is the kernel config-file (i386), that worked fine under 7.x. The
> kernel-compile will break (some *freebsd7* structs undefined), without the
> COMPAT_FREEBSD7 option. Try it for yourself...

options         SYSVSHM                 # SYSV-style shared memory
options         SYSVMSG                 # SYSV-style message queues
options         SYSVSEM                 # SYSV-style semaphores

Those require COMPAT_FREEBSD7. This does seem like a bug:

static struct syscall_helper_data shm_syscalls[] = {
        SYSCALL_INIT_HELPER(shmat),
        SYSCALL_INIT_HELPER(shmctl),
        SYSCALL_INIT_HELPER(shmdt),
        SYSCALL_INIT_HELPER(shmget),
#if defined(COMPAT_FREEBSD4) || defined(COMPAT_FREEBSD5) || \
    defined(COMPAT_FREEBSD6) || defined(COMPAT_FREEBSD7)
        SYSCALL_INIT_HELPER(freebsd7_shmctl),
#endif

The check should be for COMPAT_FREEBSD7 only I would think.

Apart from that, everything else should work without it I would think.

Thanks,
-Garrett