The following reply was made to PR usb/159919; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Poul-Henning Kamp" <>
To: Hans Petter Selasky <>
Subject: Re: usb/159919: Patch for HUAWEI E173 (u3g/umodem)
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2011 14:07:25 +0000

 In message <>, Hans Petter Selasky writes:
 >On Friday 19 August 2011 18:01:29 Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
 >>         With this patch I can get a Huawei E173 3G dongle to work.
 >>         I'm not sure why I have to teach umodem about it specifically.
 >>         It comes up as /dev/cuaU[012] rather than /dev/cuaU0.[012]
 >What happens if you leave out the u3g.c patch?
 >Could you post dmesg and output from:
 >usbconfig -d X.Y dump_device_desc dump_curr_config_desc show_ifdrv
 Dang, I should have thought of including that.
 It's too late now the E173 just passed through my lab for a few
 hours and it probably won't be back in the forseeable future.
 Without any patches it comes up with the E173_INIT product-id and
 da0/cd0 attaches.
 The HUAWEI_INIT mode just hangs the device, nothing happens or
 attaches afterwards.
 With the HUAWEI_INITSCSI it disaspears, then comes back with the E173
 product-id, da0/cd0 attaches, but umodem for some reason does not.
 The patch makes umodem find it, but as three separate devices,
 not as one device with three subdevices.
 Poul-Henning Kamp       | UNIX since Zilog Zeus 3.20         | TCP/IP since RFC 956