On Sat, 13 Nov 2010, Julian Elischer wrote:

On 11/13/10 2:13 PM, Julian Elischer wrote:
On 11/13/10 1:55 PM, Brandon Gooch wrote:
On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 2:59 PM, Julian Elischer<jul...@freebsd.org> wrote:

Was this brought up in any of the discussions?

no it was not brought up..
it was an unofficial non-planned discussion that errupted pretty much
spontaneously an a couple of couches so it was not prepared in advance..

Since I don't know much about that project I didn't bring it up.
However I should take the time to read it..
thanks for bringing it up!

replying to myself:

Now that I have looked at the reference above I realise that I did look
at it before but during a particularly hectic pereiod of my life so I didn't
really take it in as much as I should have.

I really do like this and I seen no reason why it can not be all linked together.
Since I last heard about it, it appears that they have advanced somewhat.
They are already integrating the VIMAGE code into their project, and they have
extended the VIMAGE mechanism to suite their own purposes.

It would be nice if they would show up in -virtualization sometimes so we could
include them into our discussions.

I'm not sure if the VPS project pertains directly to what you're
talking about, but perhaps some of the code or ideas from the project

Even if it doesn't, it's still an exciting project that adds a ton of
value to FreeBSD's light-weight virtualization strategy. What do think
about the VPS concept in relation to the current virtualization effort
being put in to jails? It seems to me that recent efforts at
virtualizing kernel-level objects makes VPS the future of FreeBSD's
virtualization, leaving jails as a great way to isolate

it the approaches are compatible I see no reason to not combine
but I'll know more when I have read it.

the approaches are different but not necessarily incompatible
In particular I'd like to hear what Jamie (James Gritton)
thinks about it, as he has most of the jail direction in his head :-)

I'd certainly like to be able do do many of the things they hope to do (or have a start at).

we had Klaus at the DevSummit in Karlsruhe and he gave a talk at
EuroBSDCon as well.  See the wiki and the 2010.eurobsdcon.org web
page (thought the material should be on his weg page as well).

So, yes, we are talking to him, even though I got busy the last weeks.
As he's piggybacking on VNET/VIMAGE and there'll me more things he and
we'll do, there's certainly code going to be shared (I would hope).

Bjoern A. Zeeb                              Welcome a new stage of life.
        <ks> Going to jail sucks -- <bz> All my daemons like it!