On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 3:38 PM, Marat Bakeev <haw...@hawara.com> wrote:

> On 26/08/2014 09:28, Allan Jude wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks Peter,
>>>
>>> That would be volmode=dev, correct?
>>
>> You want: vfs.zfs.vol.mode=2
>>
>> in /boot/loader.conf
>>
>> It is my understanding that the sysctl must be set BEFORE the pool is
>> imported to work correctly.
>
> What is the difference between property 'volmode=dev', and the sysctl?
> When do I need to use the sysctl, and when do one needs to use the
> volmode=dev?
>
> Either of them must be set in the host system, of course?

To me it looks like you should not use the sysctl if you are using the
zvols on the host systems for anything that expects them to be GEOM
providers, e.g. mounting as UFS volumes, etc. as this will hide them
from GEOM.
For now I've set it to "dev" via the zfs property only for the zvols
that I either export as iscsi or use for bhyve virts.
Flipping the property has the effect of gpt partitions of the zvol
disappearing and appearing again in /dev/zvol/..., while the system is
running,
while as Allan mentioned, setting the sysctl does not seem to affect
zvols that are on already imported pool.

--Nikolay