Hi Marcel,

What version of VMWare and host are you using ?

This is VMware Fusion 6.0.5 (2209127) running on Mac OS X 10.10.

 Ok, looks like the problem still exists in the wild :(

 Fusion 7 doesn't have this issue so there's always the upgrade option :)

Ok. If we don't depend on PAT-related exits, then I definitely would
appreciate preserving the -stable behaviour. Maybe we should not check
for the PAT-related exists in the first place? I mean if we don't need
them or depend on them to be there at all...

bhyve does depend on h/w save/restore of the PAT MSR, and this is the case for all bare metal that is supported.

For the nested case, bhyve used to trap/emulate PAT MSR accesses and not propagate them to the host. I'll look at resurrecting that code.