On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 9:21 AM, Matt Churchyard <matt.churchy...@userve.net>
wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 8:58 AM, Matt Churchyard via freebsd-virtualization
> <freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Nov 01, 2016 at 03:16:12PM +0100, Daniel Tihanyi wrote:

> > > The taps are allocated an IP address.
> > >
> > > I fully concur.
> > >
> > > In the install at one point, I declare that the IP address, netmask
> > > and gateway are 'declared' at the 'MB ' BIOS interface.

> > > That is correct .
> > >
> > > I do have an iso of the MB drivers,
> > >
> > > namely a Supermicro??X10DRW-i MB?
> > >
> > > and?
> > >
> > > from Intel I did obtain the .exe file for the i350GbE drivers.
> > > I script a 2 phase installation as follows:
> > >
> > > 1)
> > >

> > > /usr/sbin/bhyve -c 2 -m 4G -w -H -s 3,ahci-cd,./.iso/14393.0.160715-
> > > 1616.RS1_RELEASE_SERVER_EVAL_X64FRE_EN-US.ISO -s 4,ahci-
> > > hd,windows2016.img -s 5,virtio-net,tap15 -s
> > > 29,fbuf,tcp=0.0.0.0:5900,w=800,h=600,wait -s 30,xhci,tablet -s
> > > 31,lpc -l com1,stdio -l
> > > bootrom,/usr/local/share/uefi-firmware/BHYVE_UEFI.fd
> > > windows2016guest
> > >
> > > 2)
> > >

> > > /usr/sbin/bhyve -c 2 -m 4G -w -H -s
> > > 3,ahci-cd,./.iso/null-install.iso -s 4,ahci-hd,windows2016.img -s
> > > 5,virtio-net,tap15 -s 29,fbuf,tcp=0.0.0.0:5900,w=1024,h=768,wait -s
> > > 30,xhci,tablet -s 31,lpc -l com1,/dev/nmdm15A -l
> > > bootrom,/usr/local/share/uefi- firmware/BHYVE_UEFI.fd
> > > windows2016guest &
> > >
> > > As I said, I have picked up an ISO from the MB manufacturer
> > >
> > > let's call it manufacturer.iso .
> > >
> > > Where do I place said iso in the 'phase' of things?
> >
> > You use virtio network adapters, you have to install the virtio
> > drivers and NOT the drivers for the physical interface. Then configure
> > the IP Address, gateway, etc. in Windows.
>
> >All right, let me repeat what I am up aginst.
>
> >I do set the IP configuration in the virtual BIOS.
>
> >However when the Win2016 VM boots it sees
>
> >1) the localhost
>
> >2) its assigned IP address
>
> >3) A yellow triangle where the ethernet adaptor is.
>
> I'm not sure what people find so difficult about this - Just treat it like
> it was a real Windows machine
>
> 1) Do not assign the guest's IP address on the host
> 2) Do not set the IP in the guest BIOS (I'm not even sure what you mean by
> this)
>
> As you have found, the virtio-net network adapter has a yellow triangle in
> Windows, because it is not installed. You need to run bhyve but replace the
> Windows ISO with the virtio-net driver ISO, which you can download off the
> Internet; Then install the network driver through VNC. The guest has a
> "virtio-net" interface which is created by bhyve - This has nothing to do
> with your motherboard and you do not need to install any of the motherboard
> or physical interface drivers in the guest.
>
> Once you have the virtio driver installed, you will have a "Redhat VirtIO"
> network adapter in Windows, and you can assign an IP/Netmask/Gateway to
> this just as you normally would in Windows.

> [...]

​My setup is not much different with exception that I am attempting to
install Windows Server 2016 Essentials, release version, and I have added
both guest="windows" and have set disk0_opts="sectorsize=512" based on some
previous help you gave me regarding failed SQL server installs.

I tried booting the existing image I was working on and switched from the
102 release of the virtio drivers to the 118 version to see if that made
any difference. It did not. Overall, my install has taken FOREVER, to do
anything and often simple operations like deleting drivers hangs. Not sure
if this is because of lack of network or also suspicious of the 512 block
size.

I threw in the towel on the old image and have tried a clean install this
time. I attempted a sectorsize=4096, but the end result is an image that
won't boot and just provides a EFI bios message of failed boot..
Creating an image with sectorsize=512 works and is bootable. Install runs
normally. There is a VERY long period of "setting up computer" in this
process which runs for nearly 30 minutes. But at the end of it all, I am
unable to install a working ethernet device. I can assign an address and
that device address is pingable, but I cannot ping the router on the
network. Attempts to work with this driver to uninstall, reinstall either
take a very long time, or hang completely.

This is working with virtio bundle 118.