Hi,

Does bhyve not execute peripheral cards' option ROMs?

 Not yet.

I guess it doesn't. This could explain a lot of strange
behaviour seen resulting from running in a VM.

 Yes.

How does UEFI work in this regard? My guess is that cards
have to explicitly support the new boot method (UEFI)?

Yes - an additional section in the option ROM is needed, but as mentioned in an earlier email, that support is now widespread thanks to Windows.

So passthrough with newer cards may be easier? This could
explain why the newer RX 480 worked right away, and the
older Quadro 2000 (and a lot of other nVidia cards without
manufacturer's support for VMs) had no chance -- UEFI cards
are somehow more "autonomous".

Possibly, though it might also be the card itself not requiring as much initialization from the option ROM.

It all is just speculation on my side, I know nothing about
this UEFI stuff.

Could you summarize in couple sentences what's the deal between
bhyve and UEFI (if there is any), or future plans?

UEFI is the ROM firmware for bhyve (and most modern PCs). bhyve has a custom build of the standard Intel EDK2 distribution:
   https://github.com/freebsd/uefi-edk2/tree/bhyve/UDK2014.SP1

The changes are to support running as a hypervisor guest, where a lot of what is in a normal boot ROM isn't required (e.g. DRAM controller setup, CPU microcode update), and it also contains drivers for device emulations supported by bhyve.

 Currently, the ability to process an option ROM has been disabled.