On 10/23/13 7:23 AM, John Baldwin wrote:
On Monday, October 21, 2013 6:29:24 pm Adrian Chadd wrote:
The NDISulator is a crutch from a time when there wasn't _any_ real
alternative.

There are plenty of alternatives now. What's lacking is desire and
person-power. But the datasheets are there, or the vendor code has been
released, or there's linux/otherbsd drivers.

Leaving it in there is just delaying the inevitable - drivers need to be
fixed, ported, or reverse engineered.

This is going to upset users in the same way that eliminating any other
transition/sideways compatibility layer upsets users. But as I said, the
path forward is fixing up the lack of stable drivers, not simply supporting
some crutch.

If there are drivers that people absolutely need fixed then they should
stand up and say "hey, I really would like X to work better!" and then
follow it up with some encouraging incentives. Right now the NDISulator
lets people work _around_ this by having something that kind of works for
them but it doesn't improve our general driver / stack ecosystems.
Eh, having taken a stab at porting the bwl blob already, I would strongly
oppose removing NDIS.  If you do that I will just stop using my netbook
with a Broadcom part altogether as I wouldn't be able to use it to try to
test bwl changes.  The NDIS thing is a bit hackish, but it is quite useful
for a lot of folks.

I have to agree.  Deprecation != motivation.

--
Alfred Perlstein