On 12/16/06, Christian Knoke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello, Daniel,
>
> Daniel Markstedt wrote on Dec 11, 22:31 (-0800):
>
> > I read this,
> >
> > http://forum.freeciv.org/viewtopic.php?t=2273&start=30
> >
> > and thought that it might be a good idea to exclude currently living
> > persons from our leader lists. Isn't it fitting that the leaders are
> > historical in a game about history?
>
> Uhm, well, Freeciv is not necessarily only about history, I think.

The default ruleset is!

> Clearly, no current leaders should be in the rulesets. This is mainly
> to avoid political discussions about them, IIRC.

The problem is, as long as a politician is alive, they can return to
office at any time. When going through the rulesets for this patch, I
stumbled over dozens of such examples where the political scene had
changed since I last revised them.

> I think, excluding all living people is too much. There might very well
> be persons with historical meaning that are still alive.

Definitely, but it can be difficult to evaluate living leaders since
their political carreers aren't over yet.

> It may even be fun to see a well-remembered (cause recent) leader in
> the list. But the main criteria is still importance, whether in good or
> in bad.
>
> BTW, we have some very new nations in the set like Croatia.
>
> Christian
>
> --
> Christian Knoke            * * *            http://cknoke.de
> * * * * * * * * *  Ceterum censeo Microsoft esse dividendum.

In the end, it is much easier to maintain the nations with this
policy. That is, after all, my job. ;-)

Best,
--Daniel