Well, you could sort of build a tree or network with the different
ruler names and conditions when a different ruler name would be
appropriate( for example dictator might require republic to be
researched) but that would be overkill, wouldnt it? And if you went
further, you would even have different titles for different nations.
Prince is awkward because it comes later than dictator, while one
would expect something else, maybe despot, if republic and monarchy
hasnt been researched, and Prince if monarchy has been researched.