On Fri, 15 Jun 2007, William Allen Simpson wrote:
> Ulrik Sverdrup wrote:
>> Proposed change: make borders in S2_1 a little less rigid, by allowing
>> tiles to change hands when new sources are drastically closer than the
>> old owning source.
>>
> I agree.  I have my own collection of odd border events pictures.
>
> My guess is that the current system of recording the border (as in the
> samegame) with one source per tile is too rigid.  It probably needs a
> list per tile of influences, with each tile then "deciding" the owner
> dynamically.  New/changed sources would each record their influence in
> surrounding tiles.

The current system may not be perfect, but it has the virtue of
simplicity. It is easily understood by the player, or at least, so I
believe.

Any replacement rule for borders has to not just generate nicer borders,
but be simple to understand as well. I have yet to find any such
replacement rule. If you have any, feel free to post it. Just saying "no
so rigid" or "more influences" does not help, unfortunately.

   - Per