 I noticed that client does not handle end_phase packet (and other
late turn packets) until server has sent several new turn related
packets. Even if this relates to some buffer usage, not receiving some
of these packets in timely manner is certainly bug.
 I'm not 100% sure that server sends the packets in time. Anyway,
flush_packets() does not help. In the clients end I know that
input_from_server() is not called.
 Same thing with both gtk and sdl clients.

 As a side note I found out that gtk_input_add_full() and friends  are
nowadays considered deprecated.

 I made server to sleep 10 secs after each turn.
Following log comes from client get_packet_from_connection().

1: Got PACKET_GAME_STATE
1: Got PACKET_FREEZE_HINT
1: Got PACKET_GAME_INFO
1: Got PACKET_PLAYER_INFO
1: Got PACKET_START_PHASE
1: Got PACKET_UNIT_INFO
1: last message repeated 2 times
1: last message repeated 2 times (total 4 repeats)
1: Got PACKET_PLAYER_INFO
1: Got PACKET_GAME_INFO
1: Got PACKET_THAW_HINT
1: Got PACKET_PROCESSING_STARTED
1: Got PACKET_PLAYER_INFO
1: Got PACKET_PROCESSING_FINISHED

* Output stops until server wakes up *

1: Got PACKET_FREEZE_HINT
1: Got PACKET_END_PHASE
1: Got PACKET_UNIT_INFO
1: last message repeated 2 times
1: last message repeated 2 times (total 4 repeats)
1: Got PACKET_PLAYER_INFO
1: Got PACKET_GAME_INFO
1: Got PACKET_NEW_YEAR
1: Got PACKET_CHAT_MSG

* Last packet server sent before sleep was above chat_msg (year) *

1: Got PACKET_GAME_INFO
1: Got PACKET_PLAYER_INFO
1: Got PACKET_START_PHASE
1: Got PACKET_UNIT_INFO
1: last message repeated 2 times
1: last message repeated 2 times (total 4 repeats)
1: Got PACKET_PLAYER_INFO
1: Got PACKET_GAME_INFO
1: Got PACKET_THAW_HINT

 - ML