This is from an interview with the registration-required game developer
site Gamasutra
(http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/1523/the_history_of_civilization.php?page=9):

Have you heard of the open source clone of Civilization called FreeCiv?

Sid:  I have heard of it.  I don't know much about it at all.

You've never played it?

Sid:  I have not played it, no.

Do you purposely avoid it, just because...

Sid:  No.  There are so many good games out there, and I've played the
original Civilization plenty, and I still like Civilization in general. I
still have ideas, and we're still working with new stuff, but the first
game was a while ago, and we're looking more forward than back.

Do you find it flattering or more annoying that they cloned it?

Sid:  No, I find it flattering. To see the forums, Apolyton, places like
that. To see people doing stuff with it: keeping it alive and really
putting their energy into playing it, maintaining it, coming out with
mods; all the stuff out there.  I think that's great.  The whole community
aspect of it really keeps it alive.  The community can do so much more
than we can on our own. We try to plant the seed and provide the tools and
let people do great things with it.

   - Per