On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 11:16:20 +0300, Daniel Markstedt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Some thoughts on this issue:
>
> In turk.ruleset, all cities after Trabzon are in alphabetical order. I'd
> much prefer them to be sorted in a less arbitrary fashion, for example
> population or founding date.
The data of the last population statistics is of 2000.
The list given in the refering wikipedia article
(http://tr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Türkiye'nin_en_kalabalık_şehirleri)
gives the 100 biggest towns. So maybe that one should be used then
completely (Ankara as capital being the first)...
I don't know if there's something like a "founding date list" of cities...

> In ottoman.ruleset: I'm hesitant about replacing the old city list here.
> There was a point of having those obscure cities in the top of the list:
> cities like Söğüt and Bilecik are supposed to be the birthplace of the
> Osman dynasty. For non-modern nations, it's a good idea to sort cities
> in order of founding, rather than later importance or size. Also, it'd
> like to keep archaic names of cities, like "Kostantiniye" instead of
> "Istanbul". Do you know any Ottoman Turkish? I'd be really cool if we
> could give even more cities old names...

Unfortunately not... so maybe I should not mingle with something I do not
know and we should leave that for later when (hopefully) there will be
some more turkish participants playing Freeciv ;-)

>  ~Daniel

Roman