On 27/11/2007, Jason Short <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] - Tue Nov 27 17:48:50 2007]:
> >
> > On 27/11/2007, Marko Lindqvist wrote:
> > >  Now I got this same error in Ubuntu system.
> > >
> > >  It seems that user has to define "_GNU_SOURCE" for "__USE_GNU" to
> > be defined.
> > >
> > >  No idea how it always gets set at configure time.
> >
> >  Patch to define it both configure and compile time.
>
> This *can't* be the right fix.

 AC_GNU_SOURCE is what autoconf manual tells one to use. It's not fix
to the actual bug (wherever that is) but gets around it.

> First of all, why is configure finding the function when it can't be
> found by gcc later?

 This seems like autoconf bug. It should not find it when
AC_GNU_SOURCE is not used.

> Secondly, _GNU_SOURCE? Is this a real define or just something internal
> to glibc?  Why would strcasestr not be presented to the user by default
> as the manual indicated?

_GNU_SOURCE is documented as user (from glibc point of view) settable macro:
http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/Feature-Test-Macros.html

 Glibc manual mentions that "strcasecmp is derived from BSD." Maybe
one is expected to read that as "strcasecmp is available only when
_BSD_SOURCE or _GNU_SOURCE is defined."

> Honestly this looks like a glibc bug.

 ...or gcc. There has been ongoing discussion for years if they should
define _GNU_SOURCE by default or not. I saw some comment saying that
currently g++ defines it, but gcc not!

 - ML