In talks about Japanese character encoding, the terms "half-width" and
"full-width" DOES exist. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fullwidth

I'm just a Japanese language learner, my my skill is nowhere near
native. In fact, I downloaded freeciv primarily because it has a
Japanese translation so I could learn from it :). Giving me the job of
handling the Japanese translation will only make it worse, not better.
So thanks for the offer, but no thanks.