As I mentioned in PR#40007, I cannot even get them to display, other than
for the OK, Yes, No, and Cancel buttons.  Jason says "... the GTK library is
using japanese correctly, but freeciv is still using the untranslated
strings. I have trouble with this myself and aside from making sure you have
gettext installed and linked...."

My configure claims that I have gettext, and certainly the 'make update-po'
and such seem to run fine.

LANG=zh_CN ./civ
Encodings: Data=UTF-8, Local=ISO-8859-1, Internal=UTF-8
2: No real audio plugin present.
2: Proceeding with sound support disabled
2: For sound support, install SDL_mixer
2: http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_mixer/index.html

LANG=zh_CN.UTF-8 ./civ
Encodings: Data=UTF-8, Local=UTF-8, Internal=UTF-8
2: No real audio plugin present.
2: Proceeding with sound support disabled
2: For sound support, install SDL_mixer
2: http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_mixer/index.html
2: Old attributes detected and removed.