On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 7:41 AM, Per Inge Mathisen
<per.mathi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 4:06 AM, Auel Neider <auelneide...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> hi, im very like with your game. but unfortunately, freeciv 2.1.8 made my
>> system crashed. im using mandriva 2009.0
>
> It seems rather unlikely that Freeciv would have anything to do with
> such a crash. The window system and the kernel would not permit
> Freeciv to take down the rest of the system in the event of a failure
> inside Freeciv itself. The only issue could be if you play in
> fullscreen mode, and somehow it gets stuck in that state in the event
> of an error, but I do not know much about that since I never play in
> fullscreen mode.

I disagree.  Freeciv 2.1.8 windowed GTK client froze me out of my
Windows Vista system the other day, while playing multiplayer.  Mouse
pointer simply stopped responding.  I was shocked.  I had to hard
reboot.  I have no other history of freezes on my system.  Could it be
some kind of GTK deadlock?

Other thing that happens in GTK, with 100% predictability, is after
it's been running a long time the GUI windows start painting garbage.
About 10 seconds later the app freezes.  Vista terminates this just
fine, it's pretty much gotten to be a routine.  I have no exact
reproducer for the problem though, so I haven't filed a bug report.
Something is definitely unhealthy in GTK land though.  Some kind of
resource leak.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every