> So any "error messages" from the setting_*()
> functions would be only advisory, and should
> probably only be echoed to the console with
> freelog(LOG_ERROR, ...).

If server is going to die because of the error, you should use LOG_FATAL.
There's function named ruleset_error() in ruleset.c which takes care of
printing and sending error messages and aborting server if needed.
 Of course, we should not kill the server on ruleset errors (except when
another ticket.