> Using '_()' within the setting_*() functions is not
> done because the some callers need the untranslated
> string (see stdinhand.c:send_server_setting()).

Wouldn't it be better, then, to use N_() instead of simply dropping _() ?

This change would still pull the string out for translation (ensuring that
these uses are included in the list of references), but wouldn't translate
the string itself. Look around the code for other uses to see examples,
that'll explain better than I could.

Maybe I'm wrong, or this is just a style choice, but thought I'd point that
possibility out anyway...