> I suspected something like this but did not find the right place
> (start_game()?)

I would say at the end of srv_ready, in else case after init_new_game().

> The event enum is defined in event.h. The comment says that it
> is also used within the client. Furthermore, it is a rather big
> enum. I don't know, if it would be possible to use specnum.h for
> this.

The enumerator names are stored in common/events.c as enum_name member, but
the accessors are missing.  Also the list is not in the enum order.

Else, it is always possible to use specenum.h for this, it's just a setting
to change in generate_specenum.py (max_enum_values).

> I removed it as the check in event_cache_match() generated
> only trouble. It prevented the addition of events while

It is quite wrong, because S_S_INITIAL state will be considered as turn 0.
If a game is loaded and someone connects before it starts, he will receive
wrong messages with strange tile info and other links.  I think it must be
protected by the server_state.