I think the root cause is probably the send_all_info() in
connecthand.c:connection_attach() coming before
dsend_packet_start_phase(pconn, game.info.phase) (which I think is what
triggers the client into C_S_RUNNING, via handle_start_phase()).
send_all_info() calls send_player_turn_notifications(), which can generate
both E_CITY_MAY_SOON_GROW and E_WONDER_WILL_BE_BUILT (as well as
E_CITY_GRAN_THROTTLE and E_CITY_FAMINE_FEARED).

I've confirmed that I still see the wonder-soon message in my chat window
even if the event cache is disabled, but the one in my messages windows goes
away.

I think the E_WONDER_WILL_BE_BUILT that appears in my messages comes from
srv_ready()->send_all_info(); this will go into the event cache, and be sent
to the client after it enters C_S_RUNNING.

Not sure what the fix is. Perhaps to move send_player_turn_notifications()
out of send_all_info()?