                 Release: 2.2.2
         Discussion Lock: Any
        Operating System: Microsoft Windows
         Planned Release:

When loading a custom ruleset the freeciv-server will not read the
nations.ruleset file in the custom ruleset's folder but the one in the
default folder. Furthermore, when processing the <nation>.ruleset files, it
refers to other .ruleset files in the default ruleset instead of the custom
one.

I...
created a copy of the default ruleset naming it myDefault,
added a new building (Hospital) in myDefault/buildings.ruleset,
edited nations/aborigines.ruleset adding 'init_buildings="Hospital"',
started the server with myDefault and got:

>freeciv-server -r mydefault
This is the server for Freeciv version 2.2.2
You can learn a lot about Freeciv at http://www.freeciv.org/
0: "data/default/nations.ruleset" nation_aborigines.init_buildings (0):
couldn't match "Hospital".

I then added the Hospital also in default/buildings.ruleset and started the
server again with myDefault:

C:\JHA\Games\Freeciv\Freeciv-2.2.2-gtk2>freeciv-server -r mydefault
This is the server for Freeciv version 2.2.2
You can learn a lot about Freeciv at http://www.freeciv.org/
2: AI*1 has been added as Easy level AI-controlled player.
2: AI*2 has been added as Easy level AI-controlled player.
2: AI*3 has been added as Easy level AI-controlled player.
2: AI*4 has been added as Easy level AI-controlled player.
2: AI*5 has been added as Easy level AI-controlled player.
Ruleset directory set to "myDefault"
Value out of range (minimum: 0, maximum: 3).
2: Now accepting new client connections.

So, it loads OK if the building is found in the default ruleset.

(Value out of range is for 'set borders 4' which is like that in the
default.serv that I copied to myDefault.serv)

After this I removed the Hospital from the default ruleset and commented out
aborigines.ruleset from myDefault/nations.ruleset and it still loaded the
aborigines (got exactly the same result as the first one above).

(And yes, the myDefault.serv contains a line saying "rulesetdir myDefault")