Bit late but:

Is this the right condition? I'd have thought you wanted to split the bar if
"Arrange widgets for small displays" is set but "Merge" isn't set (because
the chat window ends up taller and narrower) -- from your recent changes I'm
guessing this is the configuration you're optimising for -- but not if
"Arrange widgets for small displays" isn't set (that just wastes vertical
space).

Anyway, I can't get the voteinfo bar to display at all whenever I have "Merge
the message notebook and the map notebook" set (with or without this change).
Am I missing something, or is that a(nother) bug?