>>> When "merge" isn't set and "small display" is, the vote bar
>>> is not split, and it's still too long.
>>
>> Well, my patch improves it giving FALSE to parameter "resize"
>> to gtk_paned_pack2(), then it doesn't hide the map too much.
>
> Not sure I understand the problem. When I use that configuration
> with this patch, the voteinfo bar is split across two lines,
> which appear above the chat window on the right half of the
> window.

I probably made a mistake here. Testing yesterday, my bar was split as
expected, except it was too long.

> Admittedly, for very small windows, even the split bar can go
> off the screen.
> (I haven't worked out what your change to gtk_paned_pack2()
> does.)

Actually, it usually doesn't go off the screen, but it makes the right part
of the screen bigger, masking the map. It is quite annoying when you don't
expect a vote (e.g. in multiplayer mode).

>> Probably the vote bar should stay on the bottom of the
>> window, not going to the right part.
>
> Not sure about that. If your whole window is small enough that
> extra stuff on the bottom will add scrollbars, might the vote
> bar not be immediately visible when it does pop up (you'll
> have to scroll down)?

I was thinking about it when "small display" or "merge" are set. In those
cases, the center and the right (if small display is set) column have enough
space to don't grow the window, but shrinking the upper part.

> But since I don't actually use the vote bar much, I defer to
> your experience on what will work well in practice in a
> multiplayer game :)

Actually, I mostly used this bar in warclient where the widgets have never
been so messy compared to here right now. In usual local game, the vote bar
is usually not shown because the player has hack access level, so no vote are
possible.

Put the votebar on the bottom of the window, would also fix bug #16520
easily.