> I don't see what does "small display" when merge is "enabled". Does it
change something, is it documented?
Well, it still changes the number of units displayed at left (patch #1722)
and gets rid of the "(Click for more info)" hint (patch #1686). But these are
admittedly pretty minor changes. (These two effects aren't documented, and
seem too minor to list explicitly in the option docs.)

So really we have five useful combinations. However, their combined effects
seem complex enough to describe that I don't feel like combining them into a
single 5-valued option.

(While it would be nice to reduce all these options to a few canned "big,
medium, small" display options, I think we can only do it if we don't lose
any useful configurability by doing so.)