On 13 February 2011 20:26, Jacob Nevins
<0jacobnk.fc...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> There's a transition guide here:
> <http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/unstable/gtk-migrating-2-to-3.html>
>
> Looks like we can start preparing now by avoiding old-fashioned
> constructs while continuing to use Gtk 2, to make the eventual switch
> easier. (I guess this will probably increase our minimum Gtk2 version
> requirement, but we have been quite conservative with that.)

 Idea in that transition guide is that there will be gtk3 only
application in the end, requiring gtk 3.0.0 at least, i.e. , it has no
problem of not being backward compatible with *any* gtk2 version.
 We can increase our minimum gtk2 version somewhat, but not all the
way up to last gtk2 release. In fact I would continue to be fairly
conservative with increasing minimum version. Once we have both gtk3
and gtk2 clients, the only reason for continued existence of
gtk2-client is its compatibility with older systems without gtk3. We
should not make that two limited target group (as "only those with gtk
2.22.0 - 2.24.0")
 After investigating this and fiddling with ideas, I now have a plan like this:
 - Fix those gtk3 compatibility problems that you can without breaking
compatibility with versions earlier than x in current gtk2-client. x
is to be decided.;Ubuntu Dapper has gtk 2.8, but Dapper will not be
supported any more by the time Freeciv 2.4 will be released. More
relevant reference is probably Ubuntu Hardy, which has gtk 2.12.
 - Copy gtk2-client as starting point of gtk3-client development
 - Make "gtk3-client" actually gtk2 2.24.0 (latest gtk2 release)
client that uses no deprecated constructs
 - Make switch to actual gtk3 with gtk3-client

 - ML