After more code inspection it turns out that building requirement is somehow
supported - effect is checked when new building is built by conventional
means. I were adding building in editor...

Another case of city radius not updating to reflect requirement changes is
that I had (before I abandoned the idea) city radius depending on terrain
class city is built on. As I added the city (in editor if that matters) it got
just initial radius, and not increased one as it should.