I've played with this and been meaning to post some constructive comments for
some time, but haven't got round to marshalling them, so for now I'll just
say: good show, unit selection has been a weak point of Freeciv.

Hopefully I'll get to post my detailed comments at some point.

For anyone else wanting to play with this: the latest all-in-one patch
doesn't apply to current trunk; the last version I've successfully applied it
to is r19263. (You might also want the fix for bug #17677 to get a usable
system.)