> I'm not sure there is a benefit in having two separate buttons
> to sell the given type of building. Why not just have a single
> "Sell" button that is always effective and is backed up by a
> "Are you sure?" type requester?
Both buttons are backed up by "Do you really wish to sell your %s?" The
difference is that what "Sell Obsolete" would do (if you could ever press it)
would be to sell only _some_ of your (say) Power Plants, in just those cities
where they're not doing any good.

> FWIW, i frequently want to sell buildings that are otherwise
> effective and the "Sell All" doesn't help me. For instance,
> once Gunpowder is being researched i would like to sell off
> Barracks and do without for a few turns. Selecting Barracks
> in the Economy tab and clicking "Sell All" doesn't seem to
> accomplish anything in this case?
Which version? If 2.3.x, are you running into bug #17936?