Are you sure about the patch? Just by reading it (without checking from
source code more context) I notice that you add initialization to one place,
but don't remove it from anywhere. Isn't this going to cause double
initialization? (If it is, and you have tested this patch without error
messages, we are missing important assert)
Also, I don't remember offhand what, but moving the initialization earlier
from where it is may cause other problems (I recall that when I last moved it,
I put it as early as possible) Some information that it uses is bogus earlier,
or something like that. Code comments or old tickets hopefully contain more
exact information.