                 Privacy: Public
         Planned Release:

For years I have been thinking if we should start using xml-files instead of
our current freeciv-specific section file format. Now it's time to at least
open ticket about it for discussion.

I currently have in early design phase model where we would support multiple
file-formats with api between the actual format implementation and rest of the
code quite similar to what we currently have for different file compression
methods. That we there would be no need to update every section file in
existence at once, and to lose compatibility with old savegames, but we could
support old section-file format and xml-files simultaneously.

Some benefits of using xml:
- Standard
- Possibility to later use xslt
- Dedicated xml-editors are easier for modpack authors to use than editing
our section file format in notepad

Cons:
- Adds libxml2 or expat dependency
- Some features our own section file format has can be hard to implement
using xml