All the textual freeciv data files are in section file format: rulesets,
tileset specifications, savegames, configuration files...

I also have been thinking about freeciv version numbering in relation to
possible usage of xml-files. If we start using xml-files in large scale, I'd
like to call that freeciv version 3.0, especially if there's major
compatibility breaks:

2012 - Release 2.4 with no xml-stuff at all
2013 - Release 2.5 with xml supported to some extend, but not required
2014 - Release 3.0 with major switch to xml-files.