I have a way to reproduce the problem. The assertion fails whenever the focus
moves to a unit inside the problematic city. If the city is empty, nothing
happens. If you move a unit into it (or if a unit is built inside the city),
the message appears.

You can try the savegame I'm adjoining. Just go to Tarragona, change
production from Settlers to Warriors, and "Turn Done". The focus will pass
several units, and when the newly built warriors get the focus, the assertion
fails. If the unit goes into sentry, the problem disappears.

(file #14028)

File name: freeciv-T0010-Y-3500-auto.sav.gz Size:26 KB