> So looks like I should switch to 2.4 branch for codebase rather
> than trunk? Or which branch do you suggest.

At the moment trunk and the future 2.4 codebase are identical. If you only
want to work on the lua side you code select any status and do some work
there. In any case, it has to be rebased at one point. There I could help as I
did most of the changes.

I do use git for the freeciv source code. It helps quite a lot if rebases are
needed.

> So far, I'm just noting existing api tools to a comments file.

Have a look at lua documentation in the wiki:
http://freeciv.wikia.com/index.php/Events_Reference_Manual (current lua code)
or http://freeciv.wikia.com/wiki/User:Syntron/sandbox (after my changes).

If you use opensuse you could get the current freeciv builds at
https://build.opensuse.org/project/monitor?project=home%3Asyntron%3Afreeciv (I
did some rework of the spec file so that the 2.3.99plus fails at the moment
but you can get the last successful build or the src rpm).