Michal Mazurek writes:
> On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 10:19:58PM +0200, Matthias Pfafferodt wrote:
>> Am Sonntag, 18. September 2011, 13:32:43 schrieb Jacob Nevins:
>>> I think this can be achieved in unmodified 2.3.x with the
>>> "timeoutincrease" command:
>>>
>>>   set timeout 60
>>>   timeoutincrease 1 1 -20 0
>>>
>>> gives a T0 of 60 seconds, and subsequent turns of 40 seconds.
>>
>> So we have two ways to do one thing? Could they be merged?
>
> Do we? If the turn is, say, T5 and the server restarted with the above
> commands in a .serv file, wont the timeout be 60 seconds?

Yes, if you're at T5 and the server restarts (say due to lack of
players), the turn is reset to T0, a .serv file specified with -r is
reloaded, and the timeout for the first turn of the new game is 60
seconds (and subsequent turns are 40 seconds again). I think the same is
true of the 'first_timeout' option. Is that not what you want? Or have I
misunderstood your question?

(If you contrive to restart the server without the 'timeoutincrease'
command being issued again, the dynamic timeout stuff carries on where
it left off, so in this case the timeout is stuck at 60 seconds. That's
arguably a bug in 'timeoutincrease'.)

One thing that first_timeout can do that timeoutincrease can't
(currently) do is to allow an unlimited first turn (as timeoutincrease
is currently disabled if timeout=0).