> autogen.sh worked beautifully, and everything compiles just fine

> ii freeciv-client-gtk 2.2.7-2ubuntu1 Civilization turn based strategy game
(GTK+ client)

So you have both self-compiled freeciv and one provided by Ubuntu installed.
What is the version you are compiling yourself? I suspect that you run freeciv
in a way that mixes files from two different installations with different
versions.

Are you trying to run directly from build dir or have you installed freeciv?
What configure options you have used (esp. have you configure with
--enable-debug or not?)