Unfortunately, I think Ubuntu Oneiric contains the Gtk patch that was causing
us trouble, despite having Gtk 2.24.6; gtk+2.0_2.24.6-0ubuntu5 (the current
Oneiric version) contains 010_make_bg_changes_queue_repaint.patch, which is
the one that was reverted from Gtk upstream (it was re-added to Ubuntu in
0ubuntu3). (I think the patch originated with Ubuntu, so that's not that
surprising.)

I haven't seen firm evidence of this actually causing a problem yet -- don't
see anything reported against Freeciv in Ubuntu
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/freeciv> -- but I'm suspicious of
bug #18891.