Results of some experiments to confirm my analysis.

Attached a savegame produced by a broken server. Two players, one at index 0,
the other ("P125") at index 125; all slots in between are unused.

On reloading this into broken server, _most_ of the previously explored
territory (for which you'll have to take my word) has disappeared. For me
there are odd disconnected spots of known territory, I assume the result of
reading uninitialised memory; I guess the reason this isn't causing a crash
for me but did for akfaew is an Intel+Linux vs Sparc+OpenBSD difference.

Also, P125's client emits hundreds of the following -- this is the sort of
knock-on effect I was suggesting:

1: fill_sprite_array() tile (2,23) has no terrain!
1: fill_sprite_array() tile (5,21) has no terrain!
1: build_tile_data() tile (10,16) has no terrain!
1: build_tile_data() tile (10,18) has no terrain!
1: fill_sprite_array() tile (10,16) has no terrain!
1: build_tile_data() tile (10,18) has no terrain!
1: build_tile_data() tile (10,18) has no terrain!
1: build_tile_data() tile (10,20) has no terrain!

disconnected spots disappear; all as expected. Exploring more territory,
saving, and loading again, the newly explored territory is preserved. The
client is no longer moaning. Best we could have hoped for, I think.

broken savegame, as expected.

(file #14589)

Additional Item Attachment:

File name: idx-someturns.sav.bz2          Size:11 KB