I ran into the same problem:
Just after "Writing" became available and research continued with "Literacy"
on my way to "The Republic", suddenly the revolution menu is truncated and
does not inlude any entries at all.
When you start a revolution you are being asked to choose the government -
but there is nothing in the menu.

I am using the gtk client 2.3.0 with server 2.3.0 (both packaged with Debian
wheezy).

I tried my save files with the SDL client. No problem here, I can choose the
government.

After I researched "The Republic" I edited the save file and changed
target_government_name form "Anarchy" to "Republic" - and not only will it
become a Republic next turn, but it also displays the full menu again.

Let me know if you need a save file or a screen shot.