Okay, this is weird.
I've been festooning the code with debugging, and the attached debugging
patch to S2_3 r20596 -- which I don't think should make any difference to
behaviour -- reliably makes the bug go away for me. (This is a cut-down
version of some debug which printed actions groups and actions -- it doesn't
do anything useful in its current form.)
Valgrind doesn't find any uninitialised memory access or the like.
Any ideas?

(file #14830)

File name: S2_3-r20596-18764-heisenbug.diff Size:0 KB