> pkg-config --libs MagickWand
> -lMagickWand -lMagickCore
> and at least as of ImageMagick 6.7.4.0
> MagickWand-config --libs
> the output is the same.
Correct - but it wasn't on opensuse. If you got to the bug I opened you will
find that it will be fixed in the next version. I think, doing the compiling
check is a save way to go.

> On the other hand, it might just be another (odd) freciv policy
> - you still use the whole AM_PATH_GTK_2_0 macro; most packages
> simply rely on pkg-config here, instead of that compile check.
No, I do not think is is a policy to use use old macros. But often the old
ones are not changed till they do not work anymore. In the case you mentioned,
the information of the macro is also available via a pkg-config call? Do you
know other things which should be checked?